We are a teacher created and owned business dedicated to empowering and inspiring teachers, creating quality, learner-centered classrooms, and improving student success! In working towards this cause, Inspiring Teachers has developed a support system to help new teachers, mentors, and administrators. This support system consists of:
Survival Kit for New Teachers - Elementary and Secondary
Survival Kit for New Teachers
offers specific strategies of effective teaching in bite-sized portions that are easier for frazzled/overwhelmed new teachers to digest throughout their first several years in the classroom.
- Practical "How To" for every aspect of teaching
- No fluff to wade through
- Specific examples of lesson plans, letters, directions, and "phrasing" to use with students and parents
- Teacher testimonies that further illustrate real classroom scenarios for different strategies
- Reproducible pages that are ready-to-use
- Questions for reflection to improve teaching practices
- Additional resources for further reading and research to learn more in-depth about each topic
Classrooms that SPARK: Recharge and Revive Your Teaching - Veteran teachers
Classrooms that SPARK: Recharge and Revive Your Teaching
offers a compendium of teaching strategies and ideas that give veteran teachers that often needed "shot in the arm" to refresh their memories and recharge their classrooms.
- Conversational writing style
- Specific examples of strategies in action
- Idea share from the authors and other classroom teachers
- Reproducible forms to use in the classroom
- Guided questions to use for reflection on current teaching practices
- Additional resources for further reading and research on each topic
Inspiring Teachers Website - www.inspiringteachers.com
The Inspiring Teachers Website is completely free to all educators and offers:
- Online mentoring service to answer classroom questions
- A community of teachers networking through discussion lists and message boards
- Monthly tips, articles, inspirations, and recommended books/websites
- Professional development links
- Classroom resources links including recommended books and content-only sites for each subject area
- Resources and articles for Mentors and Administrators
Free Weekly Tips Newsletter
Free Weekly Tips Newsletter (sign up in the box to the right) is sent directly to the subscriber's inbox each week. The newsletter contains an idea share from other teachers, timely classroom tips, an inspirational quote, and questions for reflection to help improve teaching practices.
In working towards our mission of supporting new teachers, we found that mentors also need guidance and assistance in order to be effective. Mentoring plays a huge role in the success of a new teacher, yet most mentors are offered little-to-no help or structure in understanding this role. By providing mentors with tools to use and specific direction in the needs of new teachers, mentors are more prepared to help guide and shape the new teacher effectively.
The Mentoring Kit
consists of 1 Mentor Notebook and 2 Survival Kit for New Teachers books.
- Each meeting for the first semester is outlined with an agenda, things to do, reflection questions, and hints for the mentor
- Topics in the agenda refer to pages in the Survival Kit to get ideas, start discussions, and for further reading
- Guidelines for the mentor are offered in the beginning of the notebook
- Blank templates of the meeting structure and additional "hot topics" are provided in the back for the second semester meetings
- All materials are in a 3-ring binder for flexibility of moving topics/meeting agendas around as needed
- Developed to meet the basic needs of the mentor without hemming them into a set program that does not meet the needs of the new teacher
is designed to help teachers keep a record of their thoughts and actions during the school year. This type of active reflection helps teachers pull meaning and order out of what may seem like a frazzled and chaotic first year.
- Tips for reflecting
- Specific questions at the beginning, middle, and end of the school year
- Idea starters for various topics
- Monthly calendars to record events
- Questions for reflection
- Blank journaling pages with quotes and tips at the top of each page
- Places to keep special pictures of events, students, and colleagues
Staff Development Workshops
- Presents effective teaching strategies in a "how-to" manner
- Information relevant and specific to the classroom - ready-to-use
- Current topics include:
- Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum
- "Tools" for Classroom Success
- New Teacher Workshop
- Developing Positive Parent Partnerships
- Assessing Student Learning Effectively and Efficiently
- Brain-Based Classroom
- Snap, Crackle, Pop: Motivating Students
Click on each element to learn more!
Each element of our support system can be used individually or in conjunction with other parts. We are here to let teachers know that they are not alone. There is someone out there who understands what they are going through and who wants to help them achieve their goal of being a successful teacher. The first few years in the classroom are stressful, overwhelming, and often lonely. Our mission is to help ease the stress and offer a listening ear and helpful hand to any teacher in need.
About the Founders of Inspiring Teachers
Emma McDonald and Dyan Hershman, master teachers from Texas, are known for their unique teaching strategies and techniques that motivate both teachers and students. Going beyond theories, these educators provide proven practical strategies to help teachers improve student learning. McDonald and Hershman have worked with and educated both children and adults for many years, and now also mentor new teachers across the United States. They believe it is vital to empower beginning educators with the support and resources they need to stay in the classroom. This positively affects our children, schools, and communities. Their award winning ideas and methods are now available in Survival Kit for New Teachers
and Classrooms that SPARK!
- published and copyrighted guides for educators. McDonald and Hershman now travel across the United States sharing their "tools" for success. They are well-known for their motivational, positive, practical, and energetic presentation style which inspires and encourages both new and veteran teachers.
Meet the Faces Behind the Scenes
Emma McDonald, M.Ed.